If you own a pool already or potential pool owner and read this piece, be sure that you are already conversant with what is the best pool pump to buy. By purchasing the right pool pump, you are saved from the opportunity of taking a nosedive and expensive electricity monthly charges. With this comprehensive guide, you can confidently choose the right pump for your pool.
Pool Pump Reviews: 10 Top-rated Models
The below listed products are the 10 most highly-rated pool pumps on the market in 2020.
1. Hayward SP1580X15 Power-Flo LX Series 1-1/2-Horsepower Above Ground Pool Pump
[su_loritharps asin=”B00268B774″ imgid=”61D%2B8IvTqDL”]
This Hayward SP1580X15 Power-Flo above ground is a powerful pool pump, equipped with 100% heat and drip-resistant seal for safeguarding the 1 ½ HP motor, which ensures that no drip of water is allowed to touch the exterior housing to extend the longevity of the pump. The corrosion-resistant housing is produced from powerful thermostatics for outstanding performance irrespective of the weather condition. This featured 6 power cord simplifies the installation process. This item features extra-large debris containers, and the motor also has self-lubricating bearings. The 1 ½ HP motor pump is engineered with an automatic thermal overload that will switch it off in an abnormal situation to avoid damages to the pump.
- Features extra-large debris space
- Drip and heat-resistant seal
- Automatic thermal overload
- Comes with self-lubricating bearings
- Self-lubricating bearings can fail
2. Pentair 340039 SuperFlo High Performance Single Speed Pool Pump
[su_loritharps asin=”B000UXPFMU” imgid=”511IJTOcpIL”]
The Pentair SuperFlo pool pump comes with all the expected features of an excellent pump. This product is energy-efficient, incurs lower operation costs, and easy to maintain. Pentair SuperFlo is made with innovative materials that meet the most installation demands. It is suitable as a replacement for older technology or as a first pump mechanism. This model is uniquely designed to be an ideal pump for inground pools. This product features heavy-duty motors, thick-walled body, and strong hydraulics for noise reduction.
- Perfect for all types of inground pools
- This item is easy to use and energy-efficient
- Features transparent cover for easy inspection
- Silent operation
- The pump features a poor manual
3. Hayward W3SP2600X5 Super Pump Single-Speed with High-Performance motor
[su_loritharps asin=”B00198CW7G” imgid=”61xJdAz1v2L”]
This Hayward W3SP2600X5 is a heavy-duty workhorse widely recognized as one of the best pumps on the market because of its high-performance and reliability. This model makes inspection easier thanks to its transparent strainer lid and extra-large debris basket. This pump operates silently without making unwanted noise to disturb your neighbors. This item is designed for maximum convenience, and no tool is required for removing the strainer cover. If there is a need for servicing through the interior part, you will only need to remove the four bolts.
- Features large debris basket
- Available in single and double speed variations
- Features see-through strainer lid
- Easy to use and maintain
- The shaft seal can break and begins to leak water
4. Intex KrystalClear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools12-inch with GFCI
[su_loritharps asin=”B077JB2NVS” imgid=”319LNvF3bWL”]
The Intex Krystal Clear filter pump is powerfully designed for outstanding cleaning of above ground pools. Intex Krystal filter pump is equipped with enough capacities to eliminate the smallest particles from your pool water effectively. The featured strainer basket ensures easy cleaning and elongates the longevity of the sand. This product has a built-in 24hrs timer for maintaining the pool effortlessly. Its skimmer clings comfortably to the swimming pool walls with an ergonomic adjustable bracket adheres to the pump for auto pool skimming. This model is equipped with a 6-way function which includes, rinse, drain, backwash, close system, filter, and re-circulate.
- Offer an outstanding filtration
- Features strainer basket for easy cleaning
- Requires minimal maintenance
- Perfect for above ground pools of 16-24
- The sands need to be replaced
5. Wayne 57729-WYNP WAPC250 Pool Cover Pump with iSwitch Technology
[su_loritharps asin=”B008PPPRUK” imgid=”81nVEIqlETL”]
This product adds significant value for the money used to procure it. There is no better technique for removing debris and waste accumulation from your pool water than this pump. This item comes with an automatic on/off switch to eradicate the stress of manual switching. The Wayne water pool cover pump features a check-valve that comes alongside ¾ garden hose adapter to minimize repetitive cycle. The strainer basket filters the debris to inhibit clogging and keeps the device from turning over.
- Features automatic freeze protection
- Strainer base prevent clogging
- iSwitch technology engages the pump automatically
- Comes with check-valve and garden hose adapter
- Not suitable for outdoor pool cover
6. Hayward SP2307X10 MaxFlo Pool Pump with Heavy Duty Motor
[su_loritharps asin=”B00CG4GGCE” imgid=”81gfK5%2BZKiL”]
The Hayward SP2307X10 MaxFlo pump is the most reliable pump for saltwater. This product is an Energy Star certified configured with a motor cooled by a permanent magnetic fan. The oversized design of the dumpsters ensures the maximum collection of dirt and other particles. This model is recognized for its remarkable performance in cleaning pool water. The featured oversized basket ensures that big leaves are effectively removed from the pool water. It is one of the most energy-saving, and budget-friendly pool pumps on the market.
- Features built-in permanent magnetic cooling fan
- Comes with heavy-duty motor
- Works perfectly with all automatic systems
- Trap big leaves and other contaminants from the water
- The installation instruction is unclear
7. Harris H1572730 ProForce 1.5 HP Above Ground Pool Pump
[su_loritharps asin=”B01BSV5N9M” imgid=”41sCXSHPZ6L”]
This Harris ProForce is equipped with a reinforced thermoplastic body combined with stainless-steel motor shaft to prolong the pump lifespan and enhance the durability. The innovative and powerful motor is engineered to offer high-efficiency cleaning function with lower noise. It features a transparent, swivel, and lock cover to enable you to have a quick and easy view of the filter as it is working. This product meets and surpasses all CSA and ETL standards. Harris ProForce is powered by conventional 110 electric with a 3-prong plug that includes three power cables.
- Compatible with above ground pools
- It is relatively affordable
- Features advanced motor
- Improve durability and longevity
- Can fail in one season
- Cannot use its water to power robotic cleaner
8. Pentair 340038 SuperFlo High Performance Single Speed Pool Pump
[su_loritharps asin=”B000N52ZVO” imgid=”511IJTOcpIL”]
The Pentair 340038 SuperFlo is the best pool pump for stock tank. This is a single-speed pump constructed to move water more actively by using internal flow design. This pump conserves energy and therefore saves you from an expensive electricity bill. The SuperFlo comes with innovative features like thick-walled body parts, sophisticated hydraulics, and heavy-duty motor. This Pentair SuperFlo has extra-large strainer for maximum collection of debris. It also has an unsophisticated lucent cover to allow for easy and fast inspections. This model features self-priming for easy startup.
- Has oversized strainer
- Features self-priming for quick startup
- Operates quietly
- See-through cover for comfortable inspections
- This model is still not as quite as some other pump
9. Intex 28633EG Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools
[su_loritharps asin=”B005QIYMNM” imgid=”71HP%2BfP8I0L”]
It is going to be difficult to find another above ground pool pump that is far better than this product. Because when it comes to maintaining a good swimming pool with Intex product, this pump is always proud of its 2500 GPH pump flow rate and 1,900 GPH system flow rate. This pump will circulate and sanitize your pool water to keep it fresh and clean. It is hassle-free to maintain but requires occasional changing or cleaning of the cartridge to keep it running and maximize its lifespan.
- Comes with sediments flushing valve
- Uses easy to rinse and replaceable cartridge
- Features double insulated pump
- Solidly made for above ground pools
- Filters require constant replacement
- It wears out quicker than expected
10. Harris H1572748 ProForce 1.5 HP Inground Pool Pump with 220 Voltage
[su_loritharps asin=”B01BSV5R7A” imgid=”81w0DnmWR2L”]
Harris ProForce pool pump is more affordable compared to some other products, but it still provides excellent performance for 50000 liters pools. This model is produced with corrosion-resistant and heavy-duty materials. The featured stainless steel motor shaft is made with a fortified thermoplastic body for long time functionality and efficiency with carborundum and graphite elements. The innovative and powerful motor is engineered to offer high-efficiency cleaning function with lower noise. The filter of this pump comes with oversize and easy to clean filter container. Harris ProForce meets and surpasses all CSA and ETL standards.
- Available in affordable price
- Produce minimal noise while operating
- Made with heavy-duty and corrosion-resistant materials
- See-through lid for a quick view of the strainer
- It cannot be used with storable swimming pools
Now that you have been supplied with necessary information about the top-selling pool pumps on the market, but there are still many things to be conversant with before you opt for a particular product. What makes one pump better than its competitors? What you should know about the installation procedures! You must have a fundamental knowledge of these things before you make your ultimate decision.
Motor power is one of the top factors to be considered in a pool pump. Does the pump have enough ability to disperse the whole water in the swimming pool within a considerable timeframe of eight to ten hours? The size of your swimming pool and spa will determine the size of the pump you will purchase. A large swimming pool will need more energetic pumps with higher horsepower ratings, while mini pools won’t demand much power since minimal water requires circulation in a given timeframe. The only drawback with high-powered motor pumps is that they make more noise and consume much energy compared to their small pool pump counterparts.
You must measure and know the size of your pool as the different pumps are not compatible with all pool sizes. Therefore, you have to buy a suitable and perfect pump for a specific pool size to clean it efficiently. In-ground swimming pools are generally broader and deeper, but above-ground pools are designed for personal or family space.
Type of your pool
You must know if your pool is an inground or above ground because you have to decide where you want to keep the power plug. In some inground pools, the pump is positioned below the floor, so that the power plug can take its connection from the central unit. However, if the pump is placed above ground, the power component should be suspended or held in a faraway place.
The pump max flow rate shouldn’t be the only figure to look out for because it will slow down as water is going through the pumps. The system flow rate of any pump is the expected flow targeted to achieve during operation. Therefore the max flow of a pool pump is not reliable.
Most people don’t want to be bothered by the unwanted noise of their pool pump, but some pumps are noisy. This may not be a critical concern for all, but it may be something to take seriously for those with close neighbors.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is it better to run a pool pump at night or day?
A: It is relatively inexpensive to run the pump at night but to be sincere, your pump should work one hour a day at least 10 degrees, and it should be during the day. The pump should only be operated at night when chemical treatments such as algae cleaning are performed.
Q: How long should I run my pool pump each day?
A: Pool pumps should work at an average of 8 hours daily for proper circulation and cleaning of the water. The pump should push the whole pool water into gallons within these 8 hours. However, the performance of the pump is often overestimated by the size of the pool.
Q: What kind of pool pump do I need?
A: Your pool size determines the size of the pump you will need to buy. If your pool is 35000 gallons with a turnover rate of 10hrs, you’ll procure a pump with a flow rate of 56 GPM, while a swimming pool of 24000 gallons and 8hrs turnover rate provides 50 GPM.
Q: Who makes the best pool pumps?
A: Hayward is a renowned manufacturer of swimming pool pumps, having produced several products such as Hayward SP1580X15 Power-Flo LX Series, Hayward W3SP2600X5, and Hayward SP2307X10 MaxFlo. All these products have unique and fantastic features for enhancing their performances.
Q: Best time to run pool pump in summer
A: Running the pump at night is less expensive and far more efficient because electricity distribution companies charge less for energy consumption at non-peak hours. Therefore running your pump at night is highly recommended.
Owning a swimming pool is a luxury in itself. You want your pool to be ready when you want to have relaxing swimming experience. For this reason, it will be incredible to purchase the best pool pump brands for your pools. With this buyer’s guide, you can be sure you are choosing the right one. We reviewed all these top-selling products because we want you to spend a pleasant summer inside your pool.
You May Also Like:
- The Best Above Ground Pool Pump
- The Best Pool Cover Pump
- How to Install Butterfly Gasket on Pool Skimmer
- How to Add Stabilizer to Pool Without Skimmer
- Skimdoctor vs Skim-A-Round
- How to Vacuum Above Ground Pool with Cartridge Filter
- How to Level Ground for Easy Set Pool
- How to Set Up Above Ground Pool on Unlevel Ground
- How to Hook Up Pool Vacuum to Intex Pump
- How to Level an Above Ground Pool with Water in It