Most people are confused as to what is the best above ground pool pump. Buying the right pool pump means understanding the gallons per hour rating you required to pump your pool so that it’s clean in just eight hours. In this article, we will list down some best above ground pool pumps so that you do not have to go through hundreds of options.
Top 6 Above Ground Pool Pumps Review
1. Protégé 1.5 Horsepower Aboveground Pool Pump by Raypak
The Protege Above Ground Pool pump by Raypak is a high-geared and robust above ground pool pump. The Above Ground Pump was created for performance, safety, and low performance. It is provided with fixed by the manufacturer with hot protection.
This pump also includes 1.5-inch pumping and flowing ports, with unions for a quick move to storage or service. The clear pump cover shifts and replaces, thanks to a quick-release yoke with oversized tabs easily.
Raypak designed the Protege pool pump for excellent usage. It uses high-impact ABS plastics, and a transparent Lexan cover, with rubber seals of Buna, includes all stainless steel appliances; you can depend on its great quality and durability. The Protege pump is capable of flow rates that are equal to that of Pentair Dynamo and Hayward Power flo. These pumps have the same energy, but you will find it at a low cost.
2. W3SP1580 Pool Pump Hayward
This pump has a special design that makes it efficient for above-ground pools as it yields high-performance. The Hayward PowerFlo features a strong motor that offers seamless performance and silent operation.
This Hayward W3SP1580 PowerFlo 1 HP Pool Pump offers a versatile design, corrosion-proof structure, heavy-duty with durable components. This pump also consists of a huge debris basket to minimize the time required for maintenance. Thus, it offers valuable time to enjoy in your above-ground pool.
This machine has PermaGlass construction. It is a high-strength material that prolongs the life of the pump so that you can enjoy the product for years with satisfaction. This model also contains a six-foot standard cord for power.
3. 5220 GPH Above Ground Pool Pump by VIVOHOME
This pump is stronger and more unique than any other pump. Manufactured by VivoHome, this pump is powerful and will fulfill all your requirements, regardless of whether you own a large-sized above-ground pool or medium-sized.
- STURDY CONSTRUCTION – Entire collection has a commercial-grade reinforced thermoplastic construction. It can withstand corrosion, guaranteeing superior power, and toughness. This pump follows all of ETL’s Safety Standards.
- POWERFUL PUMP – Superior engineering highlights a motor that helps in maximizing flow and reducing noise. It works automatically in a productive manner. The classic stainless-steel machine produces a long-lasting life of the pump and keeps the product cool.
- PREMIUM DETAILS – This strainer includes a huge filter basket and can be detachable to easily wash the components; With the See-through lid, you can take a clear peak inside. Built-in automatic, energy protector guards protect the machine from heating and any damage.
- WIDE APPLICATIONS – Slip union and female connection helps you install the pump tool-free. This pump is perfect with irrigation systems, spas, thermal springs, hot tubs, and swimming pools; however, you cannot use it for storable pools.
4. NE6183 Above Ground Pool Pump by Blue Wave
Dual-port configuration has either horizontal or vertical discharge which can fit most filter systems
- New local codes offering multi-speed and energy-saving pool pumps
- Energy-saving speed for normal operation with 1750 rpm low speed
- Extra power while using a pump with additional equipment like a pool vacuum will generate 3450 rpm high speed
- This pump contains toggle rocker switch of the motor to change speeds
- Dual-port design for either horizontal or vertical discharge; fits most filter systems
5. 2.5HP Swimming Pool Pump by Happybuy
You can get a GPH of 8,880 by purchasing this pump, which is good for distributing the water easily around the pool. We only select the best pumps for pools here, and this product is very quiet but offers high-efficiency performance.
This pump has good safety points that you can see here because these pumps have thermal load protection. And it comes with a strainer basket that comes off easily in a user-friendly manner.
The shipping will impress you if you are worried that it will take too long to get to your house, and you can use this product to work much sooner. It is very easy to install, but you need more accessories to fit it.
6. 75035-1 2 HP Above Ground Pump by XtremepowerUS
These swimming pool pumps achieve exceptional performance and security. At the cost lower than high-end brands, this pump has a heavy-duty system and advanced design that can yield high performance and a quiet running process. These pool pumps are created and designed to meet all CSA and ETL requirements.
Dual Speed Energy Saving Pool Pump – This pump is high-performance and heavy-duty, the motor with air-flow ventilation that can make the pumping process cooler, and quieter.
The High-Efficiency Impeller increases flow and lowers noise levels; Inlet Internal 1.5″ NPT (fit for 1.5″ male threaded adapter).
Clear Cover – Allows you to see when the basket requires a clean-up. Meanwhile, the drain plug makes for easy pump maintenance.
Easy to Start – Fill up the pump with water the first time you use it. This is to keep the motor from overheating
ETL and UL Certified – This Swimming Pool Pump has a certification to ensure recognized Standards for Safety.
Below, you can find some of the things that you should consider before buying an above ground pool:
A pump has the ability to utilize 70 percent of your energy related to the cost of using the pool. So look for a pump that is efficient for the energy and will save you energy cost along with maintaining the pool. You should go for high-quality, reputable brands with the latest technology. Above mentioned pool pumps are the top pool pumps in the market.
You need to consider that a better pump will have less or no output noise. If you purchase a quiet above-ground pool pump, the minimal noise will leave your neighbors undisturbed. Also, you can use the pump during off-peak hours.
Another thing that you should ensure is if the horsepower of the pump that you are about to purchase is according to the filtering system of your pool or not. You will not only save a lot of time but also come upon good maintenance routines.
The size of the above ground pool that you own matters a lot when you want to buy the right pool pump. So before heading to the market, you should calculate the volume of your pool so that you can measure how much gallons of water are required to pass through the pump in an hour.
above ground pool pump FAQs
Q: How Long Should I Run my Above Ground Pool Pump?
A: A common belief is that pool pumps must constantly be running while the pool is in use. However, in reality, this practice does not work in all environments, nor is it pocket-friendly. The pool water does need filtration every 24 hours. However, it does not mean that you should keep the pump running constantly.
It is recommended that the pump runs for small spans of time, usually for about 6 hours. The time gap between two runs need not be more than 5 hours. If it is a swimming season, or in case the equipment is huge, the pump should be switched on for as long as 8 hours daily as well. Manufacturers recommend that users manually remove surface debris rather than depending on the pump filtration method.
Q: What Size Pool Pump for Above Ground Pool?
A: The answer to this question lies in your pool’s dimensions. If you have a big pool, you will require, at the very least, a 1.5 HP pool pump. Additionally, you can check out the provided (in GPH) efficiency of each pool pump. To find the appropriate size of the pump for your pool, you have to divide the number of gallons your pool can handle by eight.
Therefore, it is important to study the pool dimensions before purchasing a pump for support and filtration. However, why should you find the right GPH or gallon per hour while selecting a pump? If you have ever looked at negative pool pump reviews, you’ll see that most of them complain about the pump being weak. In these cases, users complained that the pool pumps were useless because they were undersized for the size of the pool.
You need to find the right size of the pump based on your current GPH and look for quality pieces with the best above ground pool pump reviews so that your pump can have the best potential life.
Q: How You Can Winterize Your Above Ground Pool Pump?
A: The method in which you can winterize your above ground pool pump is essential since the water that freezes into the winter season can cause a lot of damage to your pump. The following steps can help you avoid such dangers and difficulties:
- First, you need to unplug the pool pump’s energy source, and then take off the lid.
- Now, unplug the drain plugs. Normally, you will find these underneath your pump.
- You’ll have to extract any residual liquid in the motor once you remove all the water. You can do this by turning on the pump for just one or two seconds.
- All the additional shares of the pump, such as skimmers, pumps, return outlets, and filters must be free from water. You can do this by exerting air pressure on the components with the help of a vacuum.
- Once all the parts are dried, you should re-fit all the components, which completes the winterizing process for your pump
In today’s market, steaming by a huge variety of amazing and suitable products, it will be very challenging to select the best rated above ground pool pump. However, you should not feel confused by testing the pump while purchasing. The additional skills that you need to have while selecting the most powerful weapon is to research and have complete knowledge.